- It’s so much easier to have faith when you’re not the one exercising it.
- Talking to God about the things you don’t talk to anyone else can mean several things:
a. It’s incredibly dear to you
b. You don’t trust people
c. You don’t have anyone to talk to
3. In relation to #2c — I believe that is an utter lie.
4. In the search for inspiration, people run the risk of missing out on something uniquely theirs.
5. A smart phone is an immense convenience, and a deadly distraction.
6. Waiting is one of the indications of trusting. I think maybe trusting, over all, is what’s really hard.
7. Philosophies in life change over seasons, and maybe it’s not a sign of weakness when you let them. Maybe it’s a sign of growth, not cowardice.
8. Your parents are getting older. I hope you’re getting kinder.
9. You will get married to food by your 20’s. If you haven’t found a love relationship with food at this time of your life, maybe you’ve been eating all the wrong things. Love, ex-food hater.
10. Your life is a tapestry of beautiful hobbies, memories, love songs, inside jokes, feelings, victories, failures, and stories not from your own experience, but from the experiences of your family, friends, and that random kid that held your hand because she was too scared to get on the escalator alone.
11. Letting people in and letting people go is a cycle that you will learn season after season.
12. Love. You will never stop talking, thinking, musing, wondering about love.
13. Your passion or lifelong dream cannot be god. The search for an undiscovered passion or unfulfilled dream cannot be god, either. It’s never going to be enough until we realize that He is more than enough.
14. In relation with #13, and even with Him, you’re going to get distracted. So, try to take it easy, but at the same time, DON’T GIVE UP!
15. Don’t worry about the guys with all the plans. They might not be letting you in on it, but they’re feeling pretty jarred and confused sometimes too.
16. Welcome to the club of Lost and Directionless. (Egos are out of the question here.)
17. Marriage (to a person this time) will paradoxically seem very near and at the same time light years away. The reason why this is? PEOPLE ARE GETTING MARRIED RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES. AND HAVING BABIES. (Sometimes, not in that order, and I hope you have more time to love than to judge them for that.)
18. A quote from J. I. Packer:
What matters supremely is not, in the last analysis, the fact that I know God, but the larger fact which underlies it — the fact that He knows me. I am graven on the palms of His hands. I am never out of His mind.
All my knowledge of Him depends on His sustained initiative in knowing me. I know Him because He first knew me, and continues to know me. He knows me as a friend, one who loves me; and there is not a moment when His eye is off me, or His attention distracted from me, and no moment, therefore, when His care falters.
This is momentous knowledge. There is unspeakable comfort — the sort of comfort that energizes, be it said, not enervates — in knowing that God is constantly taking knowledge of me in love and watching over me for my good. There is tremendous relief in knowing that His love to me is utterly realistic, based at every point on prior knowledge of the worst about me, so that no discovery now can disillusion Him about me, in the way I am so often disillusioned about myself, and quench His determination to bless me.
19. The moon will never lose its magic.
20. Enthusiasm wins. Competence is great. Intelligence is sexy. But enthusiasm wins.
21. So much of what is listened to (stories, conversations you eavesdrop on, music, soundtracks, audio books, nature) makes up so much of who you are.
At 22, aside from learning that God is being His usual wise self when He withholds something from me, I am (more importantly) …
Writer’s Bio: Najee Chua is 25 (but 22 when she wrote this). After 3+ wonderful years of faith-based events management, she now works as the IGP (Income Generating Project) Coordinator for Virlanie Foundation, a child-caring institution that protects and advocates for street children in Manila, Philippines. You can find her fighting for joy at www.hellohappyheart.com