“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”
Have you ever settled for something less than the best? If so, that feeling of regret was sure to have been felt.
Ever since I gave my life to Christ, I’ve been hearing mature Christians say that as followers of Jesus, we should live without compromise. The word compromise as defined in Encarta Dictionary is defined as ‘something that somebody accepts because what was wanted is unattainable’ or ‘exposure to danger or shame.’ As Christians, this translates as living our lives wholly to God and not settling for a life less than what He intended for us.
When we compromise, we give in to sin and expose ourselves to shame. We set our standards lower compared to what God established for us. It’s like choosing bronze over gold or a stone over a diamond. It’s settling for something less than God’s best. How you live your life reflects what kind of relationship you have with the Lord. If we live as compromising Christians, this just shows that we have a problem with our relationship with Him. Consider these things then, when you think you’re about to give up and give in to compromise.
- Consider your faith. God will not give us trials more than what our faith can handle. He will not let you go through them if He knows you cannot withstand them. Choose to stand firm in your faith.
- Consider others. We need to surround ourselves with people who are also living for Christ. When you isolate yourself from them, you’ll be like a coal removed from the rest of the burning coals. Eventually, your fire will be extinguished, therefore it will be harder for you to resist temptation and easier for you to commit sin.
- Consider His grace. I wish that the Bible is just a set of rules that can be easily followed, but it isn’t! Willpower is not enough to live a victorious, uncompromising Christian life! We need His grace… daily, moment by moment. Grace is not the license for us to sin but it is God’s power that works in us to say ‘no’ to sin.
- Consider His heart. God loves us unconditionally even though we don’t deserve it! We break His heart whenever we sin. If you truly value your relationship with Him and His love for you, it will not be an option to engage into something that you know will crush His heart.
- Consider Christ. Consider what Christ did for you and who you are in Him. He gave His life for you so you may have life to the full. He sees you as someone valuable that He decided to suffer on the cross. He Himself didn’t compromise, thus He opted for God’s best and that was for Him to die so you may have a life free from sin’s bondages. When you know your value in Christ, you would be able to stand with godly choices and prevent compromising.
In Christ there’s freedom. Cling on to this truth and remember that when we choose not to compromise, we don’t settle for something less but for God’s best!
Writer’s Bio: Mike is first and foremost a slave of the Lord Jesus—redeemed as a wretched sinner by grace—and called as a wordsmith, speaker, visionary, and creativist for His Church. You may follow more of his Blog at http://thetub-thumper.blogspot.com